Thank You Pathfinder and Pigeon Point Community for helping us design the
playground, get grants, find business donors, and for emptying your pockets to make this happen! The City of Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, King County, and businesses in our neighborhoods were the big donors. This would not be possible if every donation of time and money hadn’t have been there. Thank you! We raised $250k for Phase One.
Here’s what we will see change in Phase One:
– Grass to play on! The north and south fences will be moved to include grass in the play area and increase child safety.
– Two additional play-spaces with rubber surfacing will make playing more accessible to sensory-sensitive kids, and will be fun for all.
– One large play area with full-body play equipment–including spinners!
– One small play area with a teeter totter that can hold eight kids all playing at once, for some good negotiation and group play.
– A long, gentle, s-shaped climbable mound (the esker) about 2.5ft tall and covered in flat stones, winding between the two new play areas.
– One built-in bench, tiled with beautiful blues and greens, engraved with your messages.
– A scattered pile of seat-sized boulders in rough amphitheater shape.
– Two trees on the playground, and four trees right beside the fence.
– A better situated bike area near the front of the school.
We’ve bought the plans for Phase Two as well, so we can start saving and planning for a seated, tree covered area right outside the lunchroom, and a raised circular platform with whirligigs on the north end of the playground.
September 1st, from 8:00am – 3:30pm the playground equipment install will happen. Boxes of goodies will be sitting there, ready for us to dig, build, and paint. Time to get physical.
Capital One’s people and financial help gave us the boost we needed last year when we painted the playground. The addition of the colors, the clan animals, and a beautiful, much used braided river were warmly received by the children. This year Capital One is again coming out to help. This time with painting, landscaping, and building. We need our community to join in to help build the playground. It is on a weekday, and kids can’t come, so this is not easy to do for many parents. If you can make it happen, please do. We need
you! I hope that you can join us. This will surely be a day to remember!
The surfacing will be poured around the built equipment. That will happen in late September to mid-October. After that happens, the playground will be ready to enjoy!
Mid October will also bring the planting of trees on the playground and some right outside the west fence.
Watch our progress on the Pathfinder Playground Blog. If you have questions or suggestions, contact the Playground team at: email@example.com.
The Playground Revamp Team